Travel Signatures

All international students, Exchange Visitors, and their dependents who were issued an immigration document by CSU are required to get a travel signature by an International Advisor before they travel outside of the US. Travel signatures are valid for 12 months for active students and 6 months for students using their OPT authorization.

Failure to have a travel signature can result in complications such as receiving an I-515 or being denied entry to the US.

Keep a copy of the ISSS Travel Card for your records while you travel.

How to Get a Travel Signature

If you are still in Fort Collins, you can come to Open Advising and meet with an International Advisor to request a travel signature. If you do not have time to wait for an advising session, you can drop off your immigration document with the Front Desk during regular business hours and we will email you when your document is ready to be picked up.

If you live outside of Fort Collins and Colorado, please email ISSS to request an updated I-20 or DS-2019 be printed and endorsed with a travel signature. We will email you when your document is ready for pick-up/shipping. Students and Scholars are responsible for the cost of shipping the new document. Please provide yourself enough time before you travel to request your updated document to allow for its creation and delivery.

Holiday Hours and Busy Seasons

Please be advised that our office is busiest at the beginning of each semester and around the holidays. Please plan ahead and provide yourself at least 3-4 weeks before you travel to get your travel signature so that you have it before you leave.

Travel signature requests that are dropped off with the office can take 3-5 business days for processing and 5-7 business days for processing during our busiest times.

What to do if You Left the US Without a Travel Signature

Please send us an email to let us know about your situation and that you will need an updated document created and a travel signature provided.

Students will be responsible for the cost of shipping for the new document and should allow for enough time between emailing their request, receiving the confirmation email that their document is ready to ship, and shipping time for their document to be delivered before they travel back to the US.

Required Documents to Travel

  • A valid I-20 with a travel signature
  • Passport that is valid for more than 6 months upon your return to the US
  • A valid visa
  • If on OPT:
    • Required – Your current EAD card
    • Optional – A letter from your employer confirming your employment and approved vacation days

Scholar Travel Information

Please consider how filing an I-140 immigrant petition may affect your ability to re-enter the U.S. in your current status before travel.

J-1 Scholars

J-1 scholars should get a travel signature before traveling out of the U.S.

H-1 B Scholars

H-1B scholars traveling out of the U.S. for the first time since changing status to H-1B should plan on scheduling a visa appointment.  Traveler should carry original H-1B approval notice, a copy of the petition, and recent pay statements.

TN Status Holders

Individuals in TN status should consider whether they need to extend their I-94 upon re-entry.  Traveler should carry a copy of your employment letter and an updated letter from host department confirming the TN occupation in which you work.

Out of Country

Students and scholars who will be leaving the US to study or perform research abroad need to complete an Out of Country Request and make sure that their immigration document has a valid travel signature for their scheduled return.

Departure eForm

The Departure eForm is not intended for temporary travel. The Departure eForm informs our office that you no longer need your immigration record at CSU which can result in its completion, deactivation, or termination. Please review the Departure eForm page for more information.