Frequently Asked Questions

What is CSU’s Sponsor Billing Service?

The Sponsor Billing Service enables a third party sponsor or non–related entity to pay for student charges at CSU.

Who is a sponsor?

A Sponsor is any government agency, business, embassy, foreign government, third–party trust fund or other non-related entity that agrees to pay for all or part of a student’s expenses while at Colorado State University.

Can a sponsor request be denied?

Yes. Generally, sponsor requests are approved. However, examples of reasons for the request being denied are:

  • The sponsor has restrictions that conflict with university billing processes.
  • The sponsor has a history of slow or non-payment

What charges may be billed to a Sponsor?

Sponsors may be billed for education-related charges only. Typical charges include:

  • Mandatory Charges:
    • Continuing Education
    • Course Fees
    • Department Material Fees Facility Use Fees
    • General Fees
    • Intensive English Charges
    • International Sponsor Charge
    • Placement Exam Fees
    • Professional Program Assessment
    • SEVIS Charge
    • Sponsor Billing Charge
    • Technology Charges
    • Tuition
      • Tuition – Supplemental
      • Tuition – Upper Division
  • Special Authorization Only:
    • Books & Supplies
    • CSU ID Charge
    • Health Charges
    • Health Fees
    • Health Insurance
    • Internet Connect Fee
    • Locker Fees
    • New Student Charge
    • Parking Permits
    • Resident Hall Charges
    • Study Abroad Charges

What charges will NOT be billed to a Sponsor?

Non-educational and optional charges will not be billed to a sponsor. Typical charges that are excluded include fines, Short Term Loan repayment and apartment rent.

Charges billed to Sponsors only if specific authorization is given

New Student Charge and the New Student ID charge will only be billed to the sponsor if the sponsor specifically agrees to pay these charges.

College Opportunity Fund (COF)

The College Opportunity Fund provides a stipend to eligible Colorado resident undergraduate students. This stipend pays a portion of the student’s base tuition.

Beginning fall 2005, eligible undergraduate students must authorize the payment of the stipend to their Colorado State University account each semester.

Unless the sponsor provides a specific billing authorization for the payment of full Base Tuition, we will only bill the sponsor for the Student’s Share of tuition and not the state-funded portion for which the student is eligible to receive a stipend.

When should the billing authorization be sent to Colorado State University?

The sponsor authorization must be received before the first due date of the semester to avoid late charges being assessed to the students account. The student is responsible for paying as billed until your authorization is received. Plan ahead to avoid any problems.

Where are billing authorizations submitted?

The sponsor should fill out a Sponsor Billing Authorization Form and provide an official letter or other authorizing document to:

Colorado State University
6024 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins CO 80523 – 6024
FAX (970) 491-2452

Is there a charge for this service?

Yes, a nominal mandatory billing service charge of $50 is assessed directly to the sponsor each semester for every student sponsored. Failure to pay the sponsor billing service charge will result in termination of future sponsor billing requests.

What are some advantages to using the Sponsor Billing Service?

By using the Sponsor Billing Service, the student in most cases:

  • Will have no out of pocket expenses at the beginning of a semester for the charges authorized by the sponsor.
  • Will not have late payment charges assessed on the charges covered by the sponsor.
  • Will be able to go to the CSU bookstore and charge the needed textbooks, up to the limit set by the sponsor. Students not sponsored will have to pay for their books and get reimbursed later.

Once the Sponsor Application form and billing authorization are received, the specified charges are transferred from the students account to an account for the sponsor. An invoice is then prepared, (see schedule below for invoicing dates) and mailed directly to the sponsor.

When are Sponsor invoices mailed?

When are Sponsor invoices mailed? There are five sponsor invoices mailed each academic year. These dates are:

  • Fall Semester:
    • Mid September and end of November
  • Spring Semester:
    • Mid February and end of April
  • Summer Semester:
    • Early July

What information is necessary?

The authorization must include the following information:

  • Student’s Full Name
  • CSU ID Number
  • Period Covered
  • Maximum Amount of Coverage
  • Types of Charges Covered or Not Covered
  • Billing Address of Sponsor
  • Contact Person, Phone Number, and Email Address

What happens if the sponsor does not pay all or part of the billed amount?

The student is ultimately responsible for all charges incurred at Colorado State University. If the sponsor does not pay an invoice as billed, CSU will notify the student and request assistance in contacting the sponsor. If payment is still not received, the unpaid charges will be transferred back to the student’s account. The student is then responsible for paying the charges as defined by the CSU billing system. This could delay future registration, access to academic transcripts, and the student’s diploma.

What is the International Sponsor Charge?

This Charge is assessed to all international sponsors. For more information about the charge, contact the Office International Student Services at (970) 491-5917.

What is the SEVIS charge?

SEVIS stands for: Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. This charge is assessed to all International Students to fund compliance with the foreign student tracking system mandated by Congress. For more information, contact the Office of International Programs at (970) 491-5917.