Volunteer Leadership Experience
Cultural Mentors serve as student peer mentors to new international students arriving each semester. They support international students in their adjustment to CSU and the greater Fort Collins community. Cultural Mentors act as intercultural peer advisors to international students to help them transition and prepare for academic and personal success at CSU.
Benefits of being a Cultural Mentor
- Develop cross-cultural communication skills
- Gain experience working with populations from different backgrounds
- Leadership and professional development opportunities
- Strengthen your resume
- Have tons of fun getting to know people from around the world!
April 17: Deadline to apply.
April 22: Notification of selected applicants.
TBD: Cultural Mentor training for summer responsibilities.
- Be a full-time undergraduate or graduate student at CSU in good academic standing.
- Interest in working with diverse populations.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Professionalism, respect and common courtesy towards students, other Cultural Mentors, and program supervisors.
- Desire to help incoming international students adjust to life in the United States.
- Ability to meet all expectations and attend required events listed below.
- All students (international and American) are welcome to apply!
- Communicate regularly with assigned mentees before their arrival, through orientation.
- Attend trainings (late April/early May and the Monday of orientation week).
- Attend and assist with Fall and Spring orientation programs (week before classes in August and January).
- Stay in touch with your mentees through the first month of the semester.
- Maintain a positive attitude and reflect the model behavior of a campus leader.