Scholar Exchange Visitor Extension Request
What is the Exchange Visitor Extension Request?
If you are a Scholar and your DS-2019 is about to expire, but you need additional time to complete your program, please submit this packet to ISSS before the expiration date on your current document.
How Do I Know If I am Eligible for an Extension?
You are eligible to apply for an extension of stay if you meet all of the following requirements:
- You are working toward the objective shown on your current DS-2019
- You can demonstrate adequate financial support for the period of the proposed extension
- If applicable, you have adequate health insurance coverage for yourself and your J-2 dependents
- Your extension will not carry you beyond the maximum duration of stay for your J-1 program category
- 5 years for a Research Scholar/Professor
- 1 year for a Specialist
- 6 months for a Short-Term Scholar
Instructions for Completing This Form
- Fill out page 1
- Provide the following materials with your request:
- Letter from academic department requesting the extension
- Completed financial certification form (page 2 of this form) along with proof of sufficient financial support
- Signed health insurance compliance form
- $50 administrative fee (see below for more information)
- Submit your request to the front desk of Laurel Hall or by email
The $50 administrative fee may be paid by providing an account number that ISSS can charge through the University Kuali System.
The $50 administrative fee may be paid by the scholar one of two ways:
- By credit card through our secure online payment system (Choose “ISSS” and then “DS-2019 extension fee.”)
- Include copy of receipt with DS-2019 extension request packet.
- Check made payable to Colorado State University.