J-1 students must have a valid DS-2019 in order to continue studying at CSU and be eligible for employment or other immigration benefits. Make sure that you request an extension or Academic Training before the program end date listed on your DS-2019, comply with insurance regulations, submit an Out of Country request while you participate in research or study abroad opportunities, have a travel signature for international travel, and submit a departure form once you are ready to leave CSU or the U.S.