- Complete Page 1 and Page 2 of the Program Extension Request PDF Form.
- Contact your Academic Advisor
- Provide them with pg 3 of the Program Extension Request PDF Form.
- Request a letter of support that meets the parameters of that document.
- Gather proof of funding for the length of the extension
- Email the complete packet to email@example.com.
Academic Advisor Instructions
This information is also on Page 3 of the Program Extension Request PDF Form.
Program Extension requests must include a supportive letter from the academic advisor.
A supportive letter must contain the following information:
- The student is making normal progress toward completing the degree
- The legitimate reasons for the delay
- The new anticipated date of completion
Examples of possible reasons a student might need a program extension:
- Student ran into unexpected delays with thesis/dissertation research
- Student changed research topics
- Student added a second major or a minor that resulted in more required coursework
- Student had a documented illness
Do you support a Program Extension? If so, please provide this letter to the student upon their request.
Suggested Format for Academic Advisor Letter
This letter is to request an extension of (Student Name)’s immigration document.
I am (Student)’s academic advisor and can confirm that they are making normal progress toward completion of the academic program.
The student needs a Program Extension because (list legitimate reason for the delay here).
We expect the student to complete all program requirements in (Semester YYYY).
Please extend this student’s immigration document to (month/day/year.)
Name of Academic Advisor