- Fill out Page 1 and Page 2.
- Request a letter from your Academic Advisor supporting the extension. If you are a graduate student and will receive funding from your department, the amount of funding should be included in the letter (or provided in a separate letter). The letter must include the following information:
- Confirm that you are making normal progress
- List legitimate reason for the delay (such as a documented illness, change of major or research topic, or unexpected delays with thesis/dissertation research)
- Provide a new date by which you are expected to complete program requirements
- Gather proof of funding for the length of the extension, if not included in the letter from your Academic Advisor.
- This can be in the form of a bank statement or letter from a sponsoring agency. Contact ISSS if you are unsure how much funding you must show.
- Submit your extension request packet to the front desk in Laurel Hall or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Academic Advisor Instructions For Completing This Form
In their program extension application, students must include a letter from their academic advisor that contains the following information:
- The student is making normal progress toward completing the degree
- The legitimate reasons for the delay
- The new anticipated date of completion
Examples of possible reasons a student might need a program extension:
- Student ran into unexpected delays with thesis/dissertation research
- Student changed research topics
- Student added a second major or a minor that resulted in additional required coursework
- Student had a documented illness
If you support the student’s extension, please provide this letter to the student (suggested format can be found below in the “Tips” section) upon their request.
- If your I-20/DS-2019 is expiring, but you need additional time to complete your graduation requirements, you must submit this form to ISSS before the expiration date on your current document.
- We recommend applying for an extension at least 30 days before your current I-20/DS-2019 expires.
- To be eligible for an extension, you must be maintaining your status as an F-1 or J-1 student with continuous full-time enrollment and making normal progress toward completion of your degree.
- Please allow 5-7 business days to process your request. We will email you when your documents are complete and ready for pick up.
Academic Advisor Tips
Suggested Format for Academic Advisor Letter
This letter is to request an extension of (Name of International Student)’s immigration document. I am (Student)’s academic advisor and can confirm that he/she is making normal progress toward completion of the academic program. The student needs the program to be extended because (List legitimate reason for the delay here). The student is expected to complete all program requirements in (Semester). Please extend this student’s immigration document to (month/day/year.)
Name of Academic Advisor