When Do I Complete This Form?
This form is to be used if you are an international student on an F-1 visa who is changing educational levels within CSU (for example, INTO Pathway to Undergraduate student or Undergraduate to Master’s student).
- By completing this form, you are requesting to receive a new I-20 to reflect your new program of study at CSU.
- This eForm must be completed and your new I-20 issued before your 60 day grace period has ended.
Travelling on Your New I-20
If you are traveling between levels you will need to make sure you have your new I-20 to reenter the US. We encourage students to wait until they have their new I-20 before departing the US, if possible. If that is not an option, please make sure you have provided our office with accurate travel dates and the address you need your I-20 shipped to. When you setup your travel plans, make sure you give yourself enough time to have your I-20 delivered to you before your returning flight.
Please note: Some students traveling with a Change of Level I-20 have had a difficult time getting back into the U.S. because Customs and Border Protection was not able to see the new program in their database.
- When you make your travel arrangements, give yourself sufficient time at the airport in case you are delayed going through customs, and carry the contact information of ISSS with you.
Instructions For Completing This eForm
- Fill out all of the fields that contain an asterisk.
- If you plan to travel outside the U.S. between semesters, it is important that you provide accurate travel dates and shipping address so that ISSS can do our best to ensure you have your new I-20 before you return to the U.S.
- Upload proof of funding—bank statement, CSU award letter, or letter from a sponsoring agency—dated within 12 months of the start of your new program that meets the minimum expenses for that program.
- Once you have completed the eForm, click “Submit.”
- You will be contacted by ISSS if we need any additional documents and when your new I-20 has been created.
Meeting Your Immigration Requirements
- To maintain your F-1 visa status, you must do the following when you arrive for your new degree program:
- You will not need to apply for a new F-1 visa when requesting a change of level unless your visa has already expired and you plan to travel outside of the U.S. Your current F-1 visa will remain valid until its expiration date.
- You will not need to pay the SEVIS fee again.