In order to maintain your immigration status you must be enrolled in a full time course load and making satisfactory progress toward your program’s completion. You will need to work with your academic advisor to ensure you are enrolled in the correct courses each semester.
- Undergraduates: 12 credit minimum
- F-1 students: 9 or more must be on campus
- J-1 students: 12 or more must be on campus
- Graduates: 9 credit minimum
- F-1 students: 6 or more must be on campus
- J-1 students: 9 or more must be on campus
If you are unable to be enrolled full time or need to withdraw from a class mid-semester, please come to Open Advising hours at Laurel Hall to meet with an immigration advisor for information about how best to maintain your immigration record. This could include applying for Concurrent Enrollment, a Reduced Credit Load, Planned Leave, or Recovery Course registration.
- F-1 students may only count 3 credits (or 1 course) of online/distance learning per semester toward their full course of study requirement. J-1 students may not count any credits toward their full course of study requirement.
- If in the final semester, students cannot be exclusively enrolled in online courses even with an approved RCL.
- Audited courses do not count toward the full course of study requirement.
- Students who are sponsored, on exchange, or on scholarship may have additional expectations or requirements. It is the student’s responsibility to check in with their sponsor, home institution or scholarship provider to identify if they have minimum credit requirements to maintain their status in these programs.