ISSS does not write letters of invitation for family members’ visitor visa process.

The reason we don’t is because of guidance from officials of the U.S. Department of State. Those officials say that family visitor visas don’t need such letters.

Then what is this template form here?

The template letter linked at the top of this page is a guide for you to write a supportive letter for your family.

They can use it in their U.S. visitor visa application. Often, students write this when their family wants to attend the graduation ceremony or to visit during a vacation.

Students are responsible for creating this letter. ISSS does not write it.

Instructions for Your Invitation Letter

  • Review the information on this page
  • Review the template provided in the PDF
  • Create a letter for your visitor

Getting Started

Do you have family who want to visit you in the U.S. for a short period of time?

If yes, then they should follow the procedures written by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country.

The visa process requires some documents. If you like, you can provide your relatives with extra information to help them. Review the U.S. B-2 visa application process.

If your guest is not fluent in English, you may help them translate. Otherwise, they can request a translation from a U.S. Consulate/Embassy beforehand.

Information for Your Visitor

Documents that may be helpful for your visitor include:

  • An invitation letter written by you, the student or scholar
    • See the sample template in the PDF
  • Evidence of your valid status in the US:
    • Copies of your:
      • I-20/DS-2019
      • Passport
      • Visa
      • I-94
      • Plus unofficial transcript printed from RamWeb or copy of your course schedule
  • Proof of relationship to your guests, such as a birth certificate
  • A Colorado State University enrollment verification certificate, which you can order through RAMweb
  • Commencement ceremony information

Your family member must show that they have the funds to support themselves during their stay in the U.S.

They will also need to explain their ties to their home country. That means they will need to be prepared to demonstrate their intention to return home after their short stay in the U.S.

Some documents that may be used for that:

  • Proof of a job/employment
    • Such as an employer’s letter describing the employee’s position, company permission for the trip, and the expected return date to employment
  • Property or land ownership, or substantial investments in their home country
  • Personal/familial obligations
  • Records of other trips abroad and return
  • Itinerary for their visit to the United States

Disclaimer: The information provided on this page has been prepared for general informational purposes only. It do not constitute legal advice or serve as a substitute for legal counsel. This information has been adapted from similar resources provided by Johns Hopkins University and University of Southern California.