- Fill out Page 1 of the application.
- Give Pages 3 and 4 to your Academic Advisor to fill out and sign, then return to you.
- Give Page 5 to your potential employer to fill out and sign (digital signatures or scanned copies are acceptable), then return to you.
- Submit your CPT form to the front desk in Laurel Hall or email to email@example.com.
Please note: Depending on the time of academic year, it may take up to 7-10 business days for our office to process your request once our office receives your request.
Academic Advisor Instructions for Completing the Form
- If you support the student’s curricular practical training request:
- Complete Pages 3 and 4 of the Curricular Practical Training form
- Return to the student
This form assists ISSS to adequately document that the proposed employment is in compliance with immigration regulations regarding CPT. According to the regulations:
An F-1 student may be authorized…to participate in a curricular practical training program which is an integral part of an established curriculum.” – 8 CFR 214.2(f)(10)(I)
A student authorized for full-time CPT may be considered to be pursuing a full course of study if the CPT is required for completion of thesis or dissertation research, or otherwise required for completion of the degree as indicated in an official university publication.
Immigration regulations do not prohibit full-time CPT for students who are still enrolled in coursework, nor do they prohibit CPT during the first year of a new degree program if students have already enrolled at a U.S. university for an academic year at another degree level (please note that time spent studying in an Academic English Program does not count toward CPT eligibility). However, please use your discretion to ensure that this CPT opportunity will not adversely affect normal academic progress, prior academic commitments, or performance, especially for graduate assistants.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the limitations to Curricular Practical Training?
- Students cannot begin working until authorized by ISSS on Page 2 of their I-20 and the start date on Page 2 of their I-20 has arrived.
- Employment for the primary purpose of gaining work experience/financial compensation does not qualify.
- A student authorized for CPT may only be employed by a specific employer, at a specific location, and for specific dates as approved by ISSS. Any changes in the employment (i.e. employer, location, dates of employment) will require a new CPT application.
- In general, CPT will be limited according to the following guidelines unless your department further restricts CPT participation: 1) two semesters + one summer, 2) three summers, or 3) one semester + two summers. Some exceptions apply for students whose programs require longer participation.
- Students who use 12 months of full-time CPT will lose eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT).
- Part-time CPT or less than 12 months of full-time CPT does not have any effect on OPT eligibility.
- Students may not work past the authorization date listed on page 2 of their I-20 without applying for and receiving an additional authorization for employment.
How do I find out if my CPT request has been approved?
- You will be notified by e-mail when your new I-20 with your CPT authorization is complete.