What is an Occasional Lecture or Consultation Request?

This form authorizes J-1 Professors, Research Scholars, and Short-Term Scholars to work for any organization other than Colorado State University in the position described on their DS-2019 such as an occasional lecture or consultation.

Conditions and Eligibility

The term “occasional” embodies the concept of single events, rather than ongoing activities, to ensure that “occasional lectures or short-term consultations” do not interfere with, and are in keeping with, the activities of your J-1 program.

Occasional lectures or short-term consultations will be approved only if they meet all of the following conditions:

  • Must be directly related to the objectives of your Exchange Visitor program
  • Must be incidental to your primary program activities
  • Must not delay the completion of your Exchange Visitor program.

Written authorization from an ISSS RO/ARO must be secured prior to starting work at the other institution or company.

Instructions for Completing This Form

You must first obtain approval in writing from your J-1 Responsible/Alternate Responsible Officer (RO/ARO), who represents your J-1 sponsor and issues your DS-2019. The RO/ARO must evaluate the proposed occasional lectures or consultations in terms of your program objectives, and then decide whether or not it would be appropriate.

To obtain authorization for occasional lectures or consultations, you should present the following to your RO/ARO:

  1. A copy of your offer letter from the prospective employer describing the terms and conditions of the proposed lecture or consultation, including the:
    • Duration
    • Number of hours
    • Field or subject
    • Amount of compensation
    • Description of the activity
    • Site of activity
  2. A completed J-1 Scholar Occasional Lectures or Consultations Recommendation (page 2 of the PDF form)
    • Must be signed by your department head/supervisor and you

Additional Information

If your RO/ARO approves your proposed request, they will authorize it in writing. This means you will be working as an independent contractor (not as an employee), meaning you will not have a sustained employer-employee relationship with the person or institution paying you. Therefore, you will not complete Form I-9 “Employment Eligibility Verification” in order to start work. In that situation, your employment authorization will take the form of a letter to you from your J-1 RO/ARO, which you should keep permanently for your record.