Below are some of the most commonly asked questions about the education abroad experience and process. Please read these carefully. If you do not find the answer to your question below or in the Education Abroad Handbook, feel free to contact us.

How many times can I go abroad?

You are allowed a maximum of one academic year of transfer credit from abroad. While many education abroad programs include transfer credit earned from another institution and are therefore limited to the maximum of one academic year, there are a wide selection of education abroad programs that include CSU credit. You may participate in unlimited programs that include CSU credit, most of which are short-term programs (summer, fall break, winter break, spring break), pending approval from your academic advisor/ASC. Exceptions may be granted with support from your academic department.

What if my GPA is lower than the requirement?

Some programs may be flexible on the GPA that can be accepted – check with your Education Abroad Advisor to learn more. You may also ask about other programs in similar locations that have different GPA requirements. Note that all students must be in good academic standing (a 2.0 GPA or higher) to participate on an education abroad program.

Do I need to pay the CSU Education Abroad Fee?

Yes. ALL students who participate in an education abroad program pay the CSU Education Abroad Fee that directly provides the education abroad support structures at CSU. This fee is only charged to students going on education abroad experiences, because the services and benefits are intended for those students, specifically.

Can I go abroad my first semester at CSU?

No, you must spend at least one academic term on campus as a degree-seeking student before participating on an education abroad program.

Can I go abroad my last semester at CSU?

Yes, but there are additional factors to consider. These may include the impact of a delayed transcript on admission to graduate school or for employment purposes, petitioning for credits to apply to your degree after you return, and eligibility for financial aid. Talk with an Education Abroad Advisor for more details.

What if I can’t go abroad for a FULL semester?

There are a number of short-term programs over the summer, winter break, spring break, and fall break that are available to CSU students. Visit the Global Advising Center in Laurel Hall to learn more.

I have a disability. Can I still participate on an education abroad program?

Absolutely! Students with disabilities are encouraged to explore opportunities abroad. Advance planning and flexibility are essential. Please discuss any questions or concerns with your Education Abroad Advisor, the staff in the Student Disability Center, and the host organization/university for the program(s) you are considering.

What if I cannot find what I am looking for in a CSU-sponsored education abroad program?

Colorado State University students are able to take advantage of a wide variety of educational opportunities around the world. Students are recommended to meet with an Education Abroad Advisor to discuss their academic, financial, and personal priorities to find a suitable program. In total, students have access to over 1,000 programs through CSU and we are here to help you find the program that fits your needs!

Where can I get any immunizations required for my travel abroad?

Any CSU student, whether using CSU insurance or other insurance, may visit the CSU Travel Clinic for common international travel immunizations and some travel medications. Students traveling to the same destination may visit the clinic together for a reduced cost.

Can my financial aid be released early because I am leaving for my program before aid is disbursed?

No, students studying in the Southern Hemisphere often encounter this issue. Even if your program starts before financial aid is disbursed, you will not be able to request an advance of your financial aid. However, some programs will defer payment of fees until financial aid is disbursed. Check with your Education Abroad Advisor and Financial Aid for Education Abroad for more information.

Does the number of credits I take affect my financial aid?

Yes, education abroad credit requirements are the same as those for on-campus study. In most cases, undergraduates must be enrolled in the equivalent of at least 12 CSU credits for semester programs and a minimum of the equivalent of six CSU credits for summer programs. For specific details, check with Financial Aid for Education Abroad for credit requirements for your particular aid package. Students have the option to take CSU Summer courses in addition to their credits earned abroad to ensure they are registered in a minimum of six summer credits and have full access to summer federal financial aid.

Do my grades abroad affect my future eligibility for financial aid?

Yes, although not all grades earned abroad are factored into your GPA, they are considered in determining your eligibility for future financial aid.

Who is responsible for taking care of my financial aid while I am overseas?

You are. Education Abroad and Financial Aid for Education Abroad staff can advise you in making the necessary arrangements to ensure you receive financial aid funds when they are disbursed. Make these arrangements prior to your departure, or your aid may be delayed or may not be released at all.

Can I participate on an education abroad program in a country with a travel warning?

CSU takes the well-being of its students seriously. CSU does not automatically authorize students to travel abroad to a country under an elevated U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory or countries deemed higher risk by the International Travel Oversight Committee; however, authorization may be granted on a case-by-case basis. Please see the CSU Health & Safety web page for more information.

Can I work or volunteer while abroad?

Yes, in many cases. In some countries, visiting students have legal status to work or volunteer, while in other countries, students must have a special visa to work, volunteer, or intern. Speak with your Education Abroad Advisor to learn more about volunteer opportunities in your program location.

Will I need to buy international health insurance for the period of my time abroad?

Students on education abroad programs must have additional travel health insurance to cover all situations while abroad, including evacuations. All programs include or require travel heath insurance coverage. Check the program-specific information for health insurance requirements and benefits. See the CSU International Insurance page for more information.

Where can I learn about health and safety issues in the countries I plan to visit abroad?

All students receive pre-departure information to help them prepare for the common health and safety considerations for their regions of travel. The U.S. Department of State also has a website designed specifically for students traveling abroad: The CSU Health Network Travel Clinic provides comprehensive consultation to discuss required immunizations, travel heath care issues, and recommendations for dealing with common health problems with a health care professional. See the CSU Health & Safety web page for more information.

Do you offer help in finding someone to sublease my apartment while I am abroad?

No, Education Abroad does not provide assistance in finding someone to sublease your apartment. Students should seek assistance at the Off-Campus Life office located in the LSC.

What is, and is not, a CSU-sanctioned education abroad experience?

All students participating in any educational experiences abroad, with the exception of personal travel, must go through a registration process with the CSU Office of International Programs – Education Abroad unit.

CSU maintains a robust array of education abroad programming, including programs managed directly by CSU as well as Affiliate Programs, which are programs managed by vetted third-party partners with longstanding relationships with CSU. Occasionally, students prefer to attend programs abroad that are not affiliated with CSU Education Abroad, which may be allowed and treated similarly to CSU and Affiliate programs pending authorization through the completion of CSU’s education abroad registration process.

Student travelers that do not complete the CSU education abroad process will have their experience treated as personal travel rather than a CSU-sanctioned and supported experience. Failure to register means that students are not enrolled in CSU’s international insurance, do not have access to CSU emergency assistance and may not receive transfer credits, financial aid, travel reimbursements, and/or continuous CSU enrollment status.

Choosing not to complete the CSU education abroad process acts as a waiver by the traveler, on behalf of the traveler and the traveler’s family or representatives, of all CSU-related obligations and benefits, including without limitation, those detailed above. CSU will have no responsibility, liability or obligations with respect to participation in travel that is not CSU-sanctioned.