English Language Proficiency
Undergraduate direct and conditional admission requirements
Strong English language skills are important to academic success at CSU. To support student success, we require all students whose first language is not English to demonstrate a high level of English proficiency regardless of their citizenship. Applicants from Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom whose first language is English are exempt from this requirement.
TOEFL, IELTS Academic, or Duolingo English Test (DET) results are the preferred indicators of English proficiency for undergraduate applicants. For applicants seeking direct admission, the requirements are as follows:
|Duolingo (undergraduate only)||110|
*Consideration of paper-based TOEFL (PBT) results requires an interview. Contact a member of our international admissions team for details.
You will be considered for conditional admission if you meet our academic admission standards but have not submitted a qualifying TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo score.
Students who are awarded conditional admission enroll in the Intensive English Program (IEP) at CSU until the Academic English Program is completed or the required TOEFL, Duolingo, or IELTS score is achieved.
Please note: the INTO CSU Center will close on May 14, 2021, and the Office of International Programs will manage the Intensive English Program going forward. All international students currently enrolled in the INTO program at CSU will be taught and supported as they complete their studies. INTO and CSU both are committed to ensuring these students experience no disruption and continue to receive the highest levels of teaching quality and support.
Note: Graduate programs do not accept Duolingo as proof of English proficiency. Graduate Requirements: Graduate English Proficiency Requirements
English Testing Resources
TOEFL scores must be submitted directly from the testing agency. Pearson and IELTS official score printouts should be sent to the Admissions office: 1062 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1062 or email: email@example.com.
TOEFL test dates, locations, and costs:
Educational Testing Service Rosedale Road, Princeton, NJ 08541 USA Telephone: (609) 921-9000; FAX: (609) 734-5410 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.ets.org/toefl/ Institution Code: 4075
IELTS test dates, locations, and costs:
IELTS International 825 Colorado Blvd., Suite 112 Los Angeles, CA 90041 USA Telephone: (323) 255-2771 FAX: (323) 255-1261 E-Mail: email@example.com Website: www.ielts.org/usa
Alternative measures of English proficiency
- Successful completion of the Intensive English Program (IEP) at CSU (Conditional admission may be offered to IEP students studying at the advanced level.)
- SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing score of 520 or higher
ACT English/Reading score of 20 or higher
- A grade of 5 or better in the International Baccalaureate (IB) HL English course
- An IGCSE or A-level result of C or better on the English/First Language exam. Test results must be official and not predicted to be considered for direct admission.
- Completion of a U.S. diploma and/or two or more years of secondary transcripts reflecting progress towards a U.S. diploma from a regionally-accredited organization as defined by the U.S. Department of Education
- Completion of at least two semesters of U.S. post-secondary/university course work in English, including college composition and speech with grades of C or better. Courses must have been taken at a regionally-accredited college/university to be considered for direct admission
- Gaokao/NCEE English score of 105 or higher AND an online interview with an international admissions counselor
- WAEC/WASSCE grade of B3 or better on English language
- AP Language & Composition exam or Literature & Composition exam with a score of 4 or better
Alternative measures of proficiency not listed above may be considered on a case-by-case basis; contact a member of the international admissions team for details.