You’ve been awarded conditional admission. Now what?
Conditional admission means you have a strong academic foundation for success at CSU, but you need to demonstrate English proficiency or improve your English skills before you can enroll in academic courses toward your degree program.
You will be allowed to enroll in academic courses toward your undergraduate degree program after you clear your admission.
Options to clear your admission
You can choose how you want to clear your admission. These are your options:
Option 1: Submit English proficiency scores
You can clear your admission any time with the following exam results:
- TOEFL (IBT) score of 72 or higher
- IELTS Academic score of 6.0 or higher
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic score of 50 or higher
- ACT English/Reading scores of 20 or higher
- SAT evidence-based reading and writing score of 520 or higher
Additional English proficiency alternatives are available.
If you clear admission BEFORE the start of your first term, email your full score report to email@example.com or mail your official results to: CSU Office of Admissions, 1062 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins CO 80523-1062.
If you earn a qualifying exam result AFTER the start of your first term, you’ll work with Intensive English Program (IEP) at CSU to document your results and cancel your IEP enrollment (refer to Option 2).
Please note: the INTO CSU Center will close on May 14, 2021, and the Office of International Programs will manage the Intensive English Program going forward. All international students currently enrolled in the INTO program at CSU will be taught and supported as they complete their studies. INTO and CSU both are committed to ensuring these students experience no disruption and continue to receive the highest levels of teaching quality and support.
Most conditionally admitted students submit new/improved exam results before the start of the term to begin their undergraduate degree program right away.
Option 2: Complete the Intensive English Program (IEP) at CSU
The Intensive English Program (IEP) is part of Colorado State University.
Here are the highlights of enrolling in the IEP at CSU:
- You will improve your English language skills.
- You will receive academic and personal support to ensure a smooth transition to your degree-seeking plan and goals.
- You will study alongside students from around the world who are improving their English language skills.
- You have the option to live on- or off-campus. Plus, CSU provides housing support to help you choose whether to live with other international students or with US students.
- Once you complete the CSU Academic English program, you will transition directly into your degree-seeking academic courses; no additional documentation is necessary.
Most conditionally admitted students who enroll at CSU complete the Intensive English program in 1-2 semesters (one full academic year). You will be placed in the appropriate IEP level during new student orientation. Note: The IEP courses are not credit-bearing courses in your undergraduate degree program.
If you plan to clear the conditions of your admission BEFORE you enroll at CSU:
- Rely on the steps for admitted international students as your primary guide to preparing for CSU.
- Strive to provide evidence of English proficiency by June 1 for Fall term and November 15 for Spring term in order to stay “on time” for completing the steps to enroll (we’ll accept evidence after these dates).
- Consider completing the IEP CSU enrollment steps below if you think you may not meet the English proficiency standards before the start of the term.
- Contact your counselor from the International Team with questions.
If you plan to enroll in the IEP at CSU:
- Contact International Team to express your intention to enroll and to receive information about steps to prepare for CSU.
- Refer to the conditional admission content in the steps for admitted international students as you prepare for CSU.
- Watch your email for important orientation details in the weeks leading up to the start of the term.