Thank you for your interest in Colorado State University (CSU). We are excited to welcome you as an exchange student for the semester or year!
To attend CSU as an exchange student, your home institution must either have a formal, bilateral student exchange agreement with our University, or be involved in a consortium agreement which includes CSU. Check with the exchange coordinator at your university’s International Programs Office to ask about the exchange program and nomination process.
“As a student from England, I was apprehensive as to what to expect when I went out to America to study. It was always a dream of mine to study in America and live the American lifestyle. I can honestly say I could not imagine a better time than what I had at CSU.” – Billy, University of Leicester
Step 1: Be approved and nominated by your home institution. Your home university coordinator will send an email to CSU informing us of your nomination.
Step 2: You will receive an email from the exchange student coordinator at CSU with a link to complete the online application.
Step 3: You should be prepared to scan and upload the following required documents (all documents must be in English):
- An Official Record or Transcript of the courses/subjects/modules studied at your home university
- A Copy of Your Passport valid for at least 6 months past the end of your studies at CSU. Color .jpeg (digital photo) file or color pdf
- Documentation of English Language Proficiency (if native language is not English); TOEFL or IELTS
- Proof of Finances: In order to receive a DS-2019 form, which is required to obtain a J-1 visa from a U.S. embassy or consulate, you must provide documentation with this application that you have sufficient financial resources. You must document the following amounts for housing, meals, books, and personal expenses based on the length of your program:
- Academic year: $20,400USD
- Fall semester only or Spring semester only: $10,200USD
Documents acceptable as proof of finances include:
- Personal bank statement(s) or other financial documents (e.g. scholarship award letters, loan guarantee, etc) showing sufficient funds
- Letter of support from parent with bank statement(s) showing sufficient funds
- Or a combination of documents and letters of support that, when added together, show you have sufficient funds.
All application materials should be received by:
- March 1 for fall semester (August – December), academic year (August – May)
- October 1 for spring semester (January – May) or calendar year (January – December)