Benefits of Adding A Minor

Adding a minor can enhance your academic experience

My name is Victoria Farhat, and I am a Marketing student with a minor in Design Thinking at Colorado State University. I am also an international student from Brazil, and in this blog I will talk about how I decided to have a minor in Design Thinking.  

Once you are admitted and start thinking about your four-year plan, you will see that a minimum of 30 credits must be filled up with electives. An elective class is a class that doesn’t necessarily need to be related to your course, but by choosing the right ones, you can end up adding a minor or certificate.  

CSU has a website (https://admissions.colostate.edu/academic-programs/) that contains all minors at the University. Once you start reading all of them, you can choose what you like, and it doesn’t necessarily need to be related to your major; you can pick one to learn more about a hobby of yours, for example, or, as I did, one that will complement your major.   

As a marketing student, I am interested in learning about digital design and other areas of design that can complement my career.

However, as an international student, I believe that the opportunity of filling up my curriculum with different experiences will provide me with more knowledge and maybe give me the chance to get better jobs once I graduate.

So, I automatically think about the importance of adding to my curriculum experiences beyond regular classes, such as being a Teacher Assistant (TA) and/or having a volunteer internship. That was when I found Design Thinking. It is a brand-new minor at Colorado State that provides you with knowledge in different areas. It can be helpful for marketing – for example, and it can help with developing skills for digital marketing – but also architecture, engineering, and more.  

With this minor, I will not only finish my electives but also learn a lot about design and things that will be helpful in my future career. And most important: I will have the chance to experience being a TA and doing an internship with people I am already familiar with, and most importantly, without having to leave campus. 

Ready to learn more? Browse our academic programs and contact the International Enrollment Center if you have any questions.

Victoria Farhat is a dual major in Business Administration and Economics with a minor in Design Thinking. Victoria is a third-year student from Brazil and currently works as the Marketing and Communications Assistant in the International Enrollment Center.