Featuring Chefs Montse & Berta cooking Tortilla de Patatas (Spanish Potato Omelette)
Montse is a CSU international student from Barcelona, Spain. Barcelona is part of Catalonia where they speak Catalan as well as Spanish.
Ingredients to Gather Ahead of Time
- 4-5 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 4-5 eggs
- 3/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
You can increase or decrease the number of potatoes and eggs accordingly. You want the eggs to mostly cover the potatoes in the pan.
- Peel the potatoes.
- Slice and quarter the potatoes.
- Add 3/4 cup oil to the pan and heat on medium heat.
- Add the potatoes and salt to taste, and cover to let cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- Dice the onion and add to the potatoes. Cook, covered, for another 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl and add salt.
- Add the potatoes to the eggs and mix them together.
- Add 1 teaspoon of oil to the pan and add the potatoes-egg mixture to the pan. Flatten down the mix and cover to let cook for 3-4 minutes.
- To turn over the tortilla, take the pan and cover or plate over to a sink and place the cover or plate on top of the pan. Flip over the pan with the cover held tightly on it. Remove the pan from the top and slide the tortilla back into the pan to continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes.
- Check the bottom of the tortilla and slide out on to a plate.
- Cut like a cake and serve with bread or salad.
Bon profit (as they say in Catalan)!