Featuring Chef Ana Maria from CSU Todos Santos Center
Our featured chef, Ana Maria Peters Verdugo, is the founding head chef at CSU Todos Santos Center in Baja, Mexico. Known as “Mama Ana Maria,” her culinary talents combine with her love of people to make her a favorite among students and staff alike. A woman of many talents, in addition to cooking, Ana Maria is especially passionate about her family, has three children, and is a new grandmother. Her family and friends often assist her in the CSU kitchen.
INGREDIENTS TO GATHER AHEAD OF TIME
- 3 medium tomatoes (or canned tomatoes)
- 1 red pepper
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1/4 cup chicken or veggie broth
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- tortilla chips
- Chicken, cut into cubes
- Fried egg
- Queso cotija or queso fresco
- avocado or quacamole
- Prepare the sauce by heating the tomatoes, red pepper, and garlic on the stovetop.
- Once heated, add the above to a blender along with salt, pepper, and the veggie broth.
- Blend until smooth.
- Chop and heat up the onions on the stovetop.
- If you are making chicken, prepare the chicken by cooking on the stovetop.
- Once the chicken or fried egg is ready, you can start to layer the dish.
- Place tortilla chips on the bottom. Ladle some sauce on top. Add your additional toppings like crema, cheese, chicken, avocado, or fried egg on top of the sauce and chips. You can also serve with rice on the side as Chef Ana Maria does in this video. Enjoy!