All students who participate on an education abroad program pay the CSU Education Abroad Fee that directly provides the education abroad support structures at CSU. This fee is only charged to students going on education abroad experiences, because the services and benefits are intended for those students. In addition to funding personnel, publications, program administration, and supplies, the revenue from this charge supports the following services:
- Individual and group advising on education abroad opportunities and administrative procedures,
- Financial aid advising and scholarship administration,
- Assistance with transfer credit approvals and course registration,
- Recommended Programs Abroad list development, management, and communication,
- Reduction of academic, financial, and social barriers to an education abroad,
- Predeparture orientations and workshops for returnees,
- Risk management (including insurance evaluations and advocacy) and emergency response,
- Program development and vetting of responsible partner organizations and universities,
- Communication with host institutions and program sponsors, and
- Collaboration with CSU academic departments, Registrar, Health Network, Financial Aid, Career Services, Case Management, Counseling Services, Student Diversity Programs and Services, and other campus stakeholders to provide holistic support to students.
The CSU Education Abroad Fee is billed to the student CSU RamWeb accounts for each program and/or term abroad. The CSU Education Abroad Fee is $600 per semester for all semester programs. The fee for short-term credit-bearing programs is $400. The fee for short-term non-credit bearing programs is $300. Students are informed of this fee on the website, in budget sheets, during the application process, and in the pre-departure orientation information.
CSU financial aid and most scholarships may be used to help pay for the costs of education abroad programs. In addition, many scholarship programs are available to qualifying students on a competitive basis.