You must be in good academic and disciplinary standing at CSU in order to go abroad. Also, you must meet the eligibility requirements of the program. You may not study abroad during your first semester at CSU.
After attending a general information session and meeting with a CSU education abroad advisor to discuss your academic and personal goals for study, research, or intering abroad, you can apply to a program. The process depends upon type of program: CSU sponsored, CSU affiliated, or unaffiliated/direct enroll.
To apply to a CSU program or obtain CSU authorization for other options:
- Use the Program Search function to select preferred program.
- Click on the Apply Now button that accompanies the program description to begin the CSU process. [If the Apply Now button is missing, the system is not accepting applications currently. Contact CSU education abroad advisor for clarification.]
- When you log in for the first time as an applicant, the system will create a personal homepage. Clicking on the program name will reveal a checklist of pre-decision requirements. Clicking on each requirement will display relevant instructions.
- Upon acceptance for a CSU program or CSU authorization for an affiliate program or the Unaffiliated or Direct Enrollment at a Foreign Institution option, your checklist will expand to include the post-decision/pre-departure requirements, comprised of:
- Material Submissions
- Electronic Signature Documents
To apply to an affiliated or unaffiliated program or foreign institution requires BOTH the CSU online application for authorization AND a direct application for admission to the program provider or host institution.
Students participating in CSU programs as well as select affiliate programs will need to order a digital CSU Official Transcript via RAMweb. See this process guide for help with ordering a transcript.
CSU Application Fee and Deposit
The non-refundable application fee for a CSU sponsored program is $50, which will be charged to your student account shortly after the application deadline. Next, you will be charged a $200 non-refundable deposit to secure your spot on the program. The deposit will be billed to your student account about two weeks after notice of acceptance, once you have confirmed your intent to participate by clicking the Commit button on your checklist or submitting your CSU program contact. The remainder of CSU program charge will be billed according to the normal billing cycle.
Similarly, affiliated and unaffiliated programs and direct enroll options require an application fee and/or admission deposit paid directly to them.
Application deadlines range from several weeks to many months before a program begins. Advance planning is important to ensure that you have sufficient of time to fulfill financial aid and/or scholarship requirements and complete the application process. Please refer to the program sponsor for specific deadlines.