U.S. citizens need a passport to travel outside the country, even to neighboring countries like Mexico and Canada. There are two types of U.S. passports — a passport book, which allows for travel by air, land or sea to anywhere in the world, and a passport card, which allows for travel by land or sea only to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. Because of the passport card’s limitations, it is recommended that all students apply for a passport book to expand their opportunities for international travel.
For help with the application process, schedule an appointment with a Passport Acceptance Agent in the Office of International Programs.
Detailed information is available on the U.S. Department of State Passports & International Travel website.
How to Apply
Step 1: Complete the paperwork
It takes about 10 minutes to complete a Passport Application (DS-11 form) online. Have access to a printer while you are filling it out, and do not sign your application until you are at the Passport Acceptance Facility. Print each page of the application single-sided.
Step 2: Take a picture
Submit a 2″ by 2″ square photo taken within the past six months in normal attire in front of a plain white background.
Have your photo taken on campus at the CSU Office of International Programs in Laurel Hall for only $10 at the same time you submit your passport paperwork.
You can also have a photo taken at (prices vary):
- RamCard Office in the Lory Student Center.
- Walmart, 1250 E. Magnolia St.
- Walgreens, 2614 S. College Ave.
- CVS, 105 W. Troutman Pkwy.
- U.S. Post Office, 301 E. Boardwalk Dr.
Step 3: Provide evidence of U.S. citizenship*
- Original or certified U.S. birth certificate (Obtain a certified copy online if you don’t have original)
- Or another official document
* You will need to present the original document to the acceptance facility, AND include an 8.5″ x 11″ photocopy of all printed information on the document (front and back on their own page, if applicable) with your application.
Step 4: Provide identification
Provide one of the following*:
- Valid Colorado driver’s license (make a photocopy of the front and back, each on their own page)
- Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Current Government ID (city, state, or federal)
- Current Military ID (military or dependent)
* You will need to present the original document to the acceptance facility, AND include an 8.5″ x 11″ photocopy of all printed information on the document (front and back, if applicable) with your application.
Step 5: Pay the fees
The standard total application fee for adults is $145 ($110 for the passport book and $35 for processing). The $110 application fee can only be paid by check, money order or Cashier’s check made payable to the Department of State.
The $35 processing fee and $10 photos purchased from the CSU Passport Acceptance Facility are payable by check (made payable to Colorado State University) or credit card payment. No cash accepted.
Step 6: Submit your application
After compiling all of the pieces of your passport application, you can submit it in-person at:
- CSU Office of International Programs, Laurel Hall, 700 Oval Drive
By appointment and drop-in hours. View current hours.
Additional Passport Acceptance Facilities in Fort Collins:
- Fort Collins City Clerk’s Office, 300 Laporte Ave.
By appointment only: Schedule online.
- Larimer County Citizen Info Center, 200 W. Oak St.
Walk-in hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- U.S. Post Office, 301 E. Boardwalk Dr.
Walk-in hours: Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday 9 – 11 a.m.
How to Renew
You can renew your passport by mail using (form DS-82) if your most recent passport:
- Is submitted with your application
- Is undamaged (other than normal “wear and tear”)
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older
- Was issued within the last 15 years
- Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change)
If you answered yes to all of these questions, you can complete the form and need to mail it directly to the address at the top of the DS-82. CSU will review documents, but cannot mail them.
If you answered no to any of the questions, you must apply in-person following the instructions above for new passport applicants.